How do Imake my ex-wife to take my name off the vehicle she was awarded inour divorce?

My wife awarded the car I the truck both are still financed in my name. How do I go about getting my name taken off the car putting me not liable if she doesn’t make the payments? I also have her name second on my truck it will be paid off at first of the year. How would I get her name off of it?

Asked on October 21, 2011 under Family Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Here is the problem:  the company that financed the vehicles was not a party to your divorce and is not bound by the agreement .  And they do not have to agree to the refinancing - or if it is with a different company they do not have to approve her if she does not qualify - so you are pretty much stuck with life the way that it is until the cars are paid off.  Once the cars are paid off you should each execute a transfer of title (you seem to be up for it first in the up coming months) pursuant to your divorce decree.  But you may be in a pickle with the car that she has if she can not do something about refinancing.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.