How do i make it so my mother has legal custody of me without spending thousands of dollars?

My parents have joint custody of me. My dad is very abusive( pyschologically/emotionaly. Not physically YET) How do i go about having the custody papers changed without spending thousands of dollars. My mother has agreed to help me.

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Family Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You cannot have the legal custody papers changed unless you somehow get a guardian ad litem.  Your mother needs to go to court to request the change.  The both of you (because of your serious allegations) must consult with your mom's divorce attorney.  Try and check his or her record at the Illinois State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.