How do I make a claim against a dealership’s surety bond?

I paid cash for a van to a dealership 5 months ago but the vehicle is still not titled in my name. I paid for it and they still have not done it. I did a tag transfer when I got the car and it expired in May and I cant renew because its not in my name. I got car insurance on it when I got it but it was cancelled because the underwriters saw the car was not titled in my name. I want it titled in my name and I want to make a claim to their surety bond for my damages. How do I do this? Where do I start?

Asked on July 7, 2012 under General Practice, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to make a claim against an auto dealership's surety bond is to go online and pull up the dealership's name with your state's department of motor vehicles. The bonding company should then be listed.

You then write down the name of the bonding company, get its mailing address and then send a letter to it certified mail, return receipt requested making a demand upon the particular car dealership's bond assuming it has one in place.

Keep a copy of the letter for future reference and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.