How do I list the grantor’s name on a quit claim deed?

The grantor has remarried and changed her name. Should her name be listed on the quit claim deed as it is now, or should it be listed as it appears on the original deed?

Asked on July 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

They should both be listed: Jane Doe a/k/a Jane Smith.  But I urge you to take the deed to an attorney to review, even if you do not want to have the attorney charge you to prepare it.  This is so it is what you want.  That form of deed does not always give you all the rights and interest that you are looking for.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.