How do i know what my father’s wishes were when he passed without a will?

I’m the oldest of 4, my father passed away in 2014. I was told by my 3
younger siblings there was no will as well as no money to receive from
his insurance policy. I then came to find out the 3 of them received
more than 20,000 or more each. They had me sign papers the bank on
my father’s bank account but they would not allow me to read what I was
signing, due to we do not get along very well, I was told to just sign
here. So I did as asked. How do i find out what I was left by him if
there was a will. I was a beneficiary, least I believe, if I had to
sign paperwork the bank for his account then I was supposed to receive
something or I wouldn’t have had to sign anything. Please tell me how to
handle this situation, because I’m well aware I’m being lied to by them

Asked on March 22, 2017 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss nd for the situation as it is.  If your Father had a Will and it was probated it is a puli record and you can review it in the Probate Court for the county in which your Father resided at the time of his death.  If he died without a Will then he did intestate and the intestacy statutes in PA apply.  You and your siblings would inherit equally.  I suspect they had you sign a waiver and/or a renouncement of inheritance of some sort.  I would seek legal consultation - perhaps on a flat fee basis - to help you here.  You signed the document and there is an assumption that you read it.  Setting it aside may be difficult.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.