How do I know if my house is a zoning area to conduct business

Dog boarding

Asked on December 30, 2017 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Go to the town or municipal clerk's office, building department, or zoning department (it may be one or another of these, based on how your town or city government is organized) and ask: the government officials will be able to tell you based on your address and the kind of business. Ask them for the citation to, or a copy of, the relevant town/municipal code or ordinance, so you can then confirm it yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.