How do I know if my case was a deferred sentence or probationary?

I followed through with everything the courts asked of me (fines, classes, community service, etc.) in a timely matter and want to know what my next step is.

Asked on September 26, 2014 under Criminal Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you know your case number, you can go to the court and ask the court clerk for your file.  The file will tell you whether there is a deferred sentence or probation.  You can't remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to photocopy the file or the part of the file you want.

If you don't know the case number, look for your name in the court's computer under defendants to obtain the case number.  After obtaining the case number, give it to the court clerk and ask to see the file.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.