How do I kick my ex out?

My husband I are officially divorced.. I
moved out but still pay for the house
we rent. He does not work and refuses
to leave. How do I legally remove him
from my home?

Asked on June 16, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you are both on the lease, then you can't remove him--if you both on the lease, you are both tenants with equal rights to the home, and one tenant may not remove another. If only he is on the lease, now that you are divorced, it is his home, not have no right to it and probably should not keep paying for him. If only you are on the lease snd he is not paying you rent, he is your guest and you can ask him to leave at any time. If he won't, you can bring an action for "ejectment" to remove him. Any landlord-tenant attorney should be able to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.