How do I keep from footing the bill for a car we bought when we were still together?

Me and the other party bought a car once we split we returned the car to the dealer and were left with $14,000 owed. She wants me to pay for all. Papers have been filed by her and i have filed a petition? saying that I disagreed with the paperwork filed

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Family Law, California


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

if both parties signed for the vehicle and the vehicle was returned than any money still due becomes the responsibility of both parties. It comes down to the fact that you ar both responsible and the creditor does not care who pays as long as someone does

determining who is a matter you seem to be handling with the court system. I assume you have an attorney and they are taking care of this for you. Just remember that although a court may determine you owe half she owes half the creditor will want payment from whomever it gets it from. If one of you pays the other doesn't they still can proceed with collection efforts, interest, default, whatever they decide.

So pursue this legally but in the end make sure both parties follow through with the decision

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.