How do I have a mobile home removed from my property?

The land belongs to me. The mobile home
does not belong to me.

Asked on October 7, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If they are a rent-paying tenant of yours, you can evict them if they have given you legal grounds for eviction (e.g. not paying rent, violating the terms of a lease, not leaving after a month's notice if they are a month-to-month tenant, etc.). You would file an eviction action in court to remove them. If they are not a rent paying tenant, they are considered a "guest" and a guest may be asked (in writing) to leave on 30 days notice at any time; if they don't leave then, you could bring a different kind of legal action, traditionally called an action for "ejectment" (though your state may have a different name for it) to remove them. In either event, you go through the courts after providing proper notice, bring the appropriate action (eviction or ejectment), and get a court order or judgment removing them; when you have order or judgment, you can then apply for and get a "warrant" or "writ" which will instruct law enforcement (e.g. the sheriff) to remove the person. After they are gone, if they did not take the mobile home, there are further procedures that can be done to then have the right to physically remove and sell or dispose of the home and any contents thereof. In no event would they have the right to remain there indefinitely on your land.
You are strongly advised to retain an attorney to help you; the actions described above are "technical" in that a minor error can force you to start over; therefore, let a lawyer help you. A landlord-tenant attorney should know how to bring either type of action. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.