How do I go about suing our videographer if I had our wedding in a different state?

We live in one state but had our wedding in another. It’s been just a little over a year since the wedding and the videographer has not given us a finished product. Along the way at about 6 months after the wedding we contacted them to get an update on the videos. After that we periodically would email for updates and were constantly given dates but never saw any progress. The contract says in 8-12 months for most projects. It’s been over a year now. We were supposed to receive a 2-3 hour documentary of our wedding. Instead, 3 days ago, we were sent a link to 2 video clips (30 mins and 16 mins long) which were uploaded onto a video hosting website.

Asked on July 18, 2014 under Business Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them for breach of contract--for not providing what they should have provided. You can sue them in the state where the wedding occurred or where the videographer is based; if that's not convenient, you *may* be able to sue them in your state, on the basis that since the documentary was to be delivered to where you live, the "injury" occured at your residence, since that's where the contract was not peformed--it would likely be worthwhile to try this, if thhe other state(s) are not convenient.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.