How do I go about suing a person for damages to my car if I already mistakingly filed a claim with my insurance company and the accident wasn’t my fault?

The damages are $861; my insurance paid $361.

Asked on July 14, 2014 under Accident Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the other person was at fault (it's not enough that you were not at fault; they must have actually been at fault, such as by driving carelessly), you may sue them for any amounts not already paid or reimbursed to you. If repairs cost $861, for example, and you received $361, you could sue for $500, such as in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.