How do I go about sueing for wrongful termination?

I’ve been fired from my job unfairly and nobody will contact me about the situation.

Asked on April 20, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

First of all, wrongful termination has to do with being fired for breach of a union agreement or employment contract, or being fired due to some form of legally actionable discrimination or retaliation. So for example, if you were fired due to your race, religion, disability, age (over 40), national origin, etc. then you would have a claim. Otherwise, as an "at will" worker, you could have been discharged for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. Since you provided no details of your situation, you should consult directly with a local lawyer who can review your case and then advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.