How do I go about securing a legal transfer of stocks?

My husband passed away without a will. He has some Disney company stocks
that I wish to be transferred to me and my children

Asked on April 27, 2016 under Estate Planning, New Mexico


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you contact each company that issued stock, they will send you forms to complete in order to transfer the stock.  You will also need copies of your husband's death certificate.  The forms may vary from one company to another.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.