How do I go about searching for a more current Will of a deceased after another Will has been submitted?

I believe that the Will that was submitted by the executrix was an old Will and it benefited her. I am convinced that there have been subsequent Wills,but how do I go about finding them outside of the executrix’s care? I would not be able to contact the deceased’s lawyer who may have drafted any current Wills, as the only person who exists who would know the name of the lawyer would be the executrix. I do not believe that she would release this information.

Asked on November 9, 2012 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You probably should contact an attorney in New York to assist or at least provide advice.  You may wish to contest the will or conduct discovery in the probate to be satisfied that there is no newer will.

Once the will is admitted to probate, you should be able to see it.  You may have to go to the courthouse to look at it, but it should identify the lawyer who drafted it.  You could then contact that lawyer to see if he or she prepared a later will.

You could also contact the lawyer representing the estate/executrix, express your concerns, and ask what has been done to verify that there is no later will.  Most probate lawyers are very careful to make sure everything is appropriate.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.