How do I go about requesting my security deposit back and my overpayment of rent from my landlord?

We ended our lease the 14th of last month, walkthrough by the manager and everything. I was not given a prorated rent amount for the month, so we sent them a letter saying as much with our full month’s rent. It has been over 30 days and we haven’t received anything about our security deposit refund or our rent over payment. Can I also request my pet deposit refunded as well since they have not returned any deposit amount? We also did not receive a copy of our original one year lease. We only received a copy of our month-to-month lease when the first one ended.

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would write the former landlord a note asking when you may expect the return of your deposits and your overpayment in that you have been out of the rental more than thirty (30) days requesting payment in the next ten (10) days or so. Keep a copy of the note for future use and reference. If you do not get a response or get a response to the letter you do not like, your option seems to be small claims court to get what you are entitled to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.