How do I go about receiving a paycheck from my jobthat hasn’t paid me for time worked?

I’ve been working for a home services company for they last 9 months. I was recently suspended from work and on payday I didn’t receive my direct deposit nor a stub.

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You file a lawsuit--that's how you recover money from anyone who owes it to you, including for unpaid wages. For several thousand dollars, you'd want to hire an attorney to represent you; for several hundred, you should probably file in small claims court, representing yourself (no legal fees). You'd need to prove the hours/days worked and the rate or wages you should have been paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.