How do I go about having my roommate buy me out if the house is paid off

We both put the equal amount to buy the house. He refuses to put it up for sale. He lost his job so I doubt he is able to get a loan for half the amount.

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You and your business partner are in a bad situation. If one cannot buy out the other and both do not want to place the property for sale on the open market, the only way to sell the property is to file a partition action in the county court house to have the court order the property sold.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.