How do I go about handling my MIP?

I am 18 years old, a sophomore in college and without a job. I blew a .150 on PBT and I was on a public beach. Yes, obviously this was stupid of me, however, I’ve never been in trouble with the law before and I don’t know how to handle this. I will take any classes and do as much community service as needed to get this off my record. My education is very important to me and I get financial aid and I don’t want this to keep me from getting that. I can’t afford an attorney for myself, so do I wait until my arraignment and they’ll give me a court appointed attorney? I don’t know how this works. Ahould I plead guilty?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you can not afford an attorney, the court can appoint you one. With a MIP, you are not to be in possession/consume alcohol. For first time offenders, you will most likely receive probation and a deferred sentence to avoid having this offense appear on your criminal record. Once all of the evidence is in, an attorney should be able to advise you better upon your rights in terms of going trial on the matter or entering a plea of guilty in this case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.