How do I go about getting a copy of our will?

We have moved numerous times and cannot find the Will. Would it be recorded with the courts in the county where we lived at the time?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Do you know if you have the original or if the attorney that prepared the last Will and Testament on your behalf has the original?  If the attorney is holding the original then you are fine.  Generally there is no requirement that a Will be filed.  If it were filed then it may be filed in the county in which you resided at the time it was executed.  But it is probated in the county in which you reside at the time of your death, and you have indicated that you have moved since then.  I think that the best thing that you can do at this point is to contact the attorney that prepared the Will in the first place and seek to execute a new Will that revokes all prior Wills.  If you are not changing anything then the fee should be nominal.  But it is the best protection for you here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.