How do i go about getting a citizenship?

Been here all my life. My mom brought when i was just a newborn into the united
states. i have several documents from school. I was married but been divorced
for years now. I have a 10 year old son. Just trying to find the least expensive
way to go about this.

Asked on October 4, 2017 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you were brought to the US unlawfully, even if you were then a newborn, under the current immigration laws, there is no way for you to legalize your status within the US.  You would have to go outside the US in order to get a visa but you would be triggering a 10 year bar to reentry when you do so, so you would need to apply for an extreme hardship waiver that is based on proving extreme hardship to a US citizen spouse or child and only if you are able to prove that would the waiver be granted and then it would be safe for you to go abroad to get a visa.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.