How do I go about getting my grandmother’s house turned into my name?

Her estate is in probate. I have been living in the home since 2 months before she passed away. She did have a reverse mortgage loan on the property but my uncle, who is executor, is saying that he is going to sell the home. Where do I stand?

Asked on October 25, 2013 under Estate Planning, Iowa


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to check with your state to determine if her reverse mortgage is turning the home over to the mortgage company automatically or if there is an acceleration clause on the mortgagge. If so, see if you qualify to purchase the home and have the transaction go through the estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.