How do I go about getting my daughter’s absent father to sign a termination of parental rights?

My daughter’s father has never been present since my pregnancy. I want him to sign away his rights, but I don’t have thousands of dollars to retain an attorney. Is there any way I can do this on my own, and if so, how?

Asked on February 1, 2012 under Family Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Here is the thing: he can voluntarily relinquish his rights as a parent but courts are not really keen on this - or termination - because of the issue of child support. You do not mention if he pays or not but even if he does not, the right to support is that of the child and the courts do not terminate that right lightly.  They generally do not even do so unless there is someone waiting in the wings to adopt.  Try speaking with legal aid or a free consultation from an attorney in your area. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.