How do I go about filing for a change in spousal maintenance due to financial hardship?

I agreed to a spousal maintenance amount last year based on what I had been making previously. Unfortunately, my income has suffered since then. I have been unemployed for some periods and at times only employed part time. I’ve been unemployed for the past 2 months and am running out of savings, which are being depleted more rapidly due to paying the spousal maintenance. What forms do I need to fill out to apply for an adjustment to maintenance due to financial hardship? Maintenance is $2,500 per month / I get $2,416 in unemployment which will run out in a few weeks. Agreement was that I would pay maintenance for 1 year; I’ve paid for 12 months.

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Okay there are two avenues here as far as I can see and unfortunately I think you need to have some one read the agreement to determine the best way to go.  First, if the agreement was for a year and you have paid for a year (12 months) then the agreement is over.  Make a motion regarding this and to stop payments.  Otherwise , if you are to continue to pay make a motion for a modification of the agreemtn due to a change in circumstances (that would be loss of income).  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.