How do I go about establishing legal guardianshp for the father of my child, if he lives in another state?

I currently have physical custody of our 2 children. My ex and I have come to the agreement that our daughter can stay out with hin for school. However, he needs a notarized letter from me that I have consented to this arrangement.

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have a custody/guardianship agreement or order already set I would not sign and notarize anything unless ana ttorney looks at it first.  You are modifying the agreement and hence a court order.  Only a judge can modify the court order.  And you need to protect yourself and your kids.  Get help.  Good luck.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Rather than a notarized letter memorializing your agreement with your "ex" as to the guardianship of your daugher, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to have a formal guardianship drafted setting forth the terms and conditions of your agreement with respect to your daughter and have such dated and signed before a notary public.

It is best to have a person experienced in such matters draft the needed document.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.