How do I go about being able to see my grandfather’s Will?

My grandfather died suddenly and I had last saw his Will about 2 years ago. Now my grandmother and mom have taken me completly out of the Will while he wasnt in sound or able mind. How do

I go about contesting his Will?

Asked on September 23, 2016 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Once your grandfather's Will is/was entered into probate it becomes/became a matter of public record. This means that anyone has a right to see it. As for contesting the Will, you can sue and try to prove some type of undue influence over your grandfather at the time he changed his Will, however such suits are time consuming and costly. At this point, you can consult directly with a local attorney regarding your possible rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.