How do I go about asking my ex to sign his rights off his child?

I don’t want him in or life anymore and the only way keeping him involved is him paying child support.

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I order for your "ex" to sign off on his parental rights is to sign a document stating such where he will no longer be liable for any child support for the child where in return he gets no visitiation or contact. The agreement needs to be approved by a court order. The problem that you may have from a public policy standpoint is that unless someone takes on his parental rights other than yourself, the request that you seek may not be approved by the court.

The rationale is that the states in this country have a vested interest that unless one parent passes, they both are obligated for child support payments of a minor child they both have.

B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your first step is to see if he's even willing to waive his rights to the child.  If he has no interest in the child and has had no involvement, he may simply agree to sign an order terminating his parental rights.  You would need to have a family law attorney draft you a proposed set of papers and see if he'll sign them.  If he refuses to sign the paperwork, then you may have a hard time getting the rights terminated since he has been paying child support as required.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.