How do I go about appealing an unemployment decision that was overturned?

I was fired for using my cellphone at work to call the onsite director about the children at a day care center. The original decision to award me unemployment was appealed by the day care center, and they won the appeal.

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that your unemployment benefits award was overturned on appeal, you need to consult with an attorney practicing in the area of employment law to see what recourse you have as to the latest turn of events. Most likely there really is nothing you can do at the administrative level at this point.

Your recourse would possibly be to file an action at the state court level at this point in time concerning the denial of your unemployment benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.