How do I get to waive the bond requirement during the probate process?

My husband died suddenly without a Will or Trust. The house is under his name alone. We have a minor daughter. I have requested the court to be appointed to be the administrator of his estate. Can I request the judge to waive the bond requirement? How do I request it properly so the judge will grant it?

Asked on March 23, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Your state may in fact have a form that requests that the court waive the fee.  This is, though, generally done in a Will but there is none here.  I would speak with ana ttorney in your area about the best way to proceed.  Good luck to you both.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.