How do I get the name of my former deceased wife off of the deeds on 2 properties we owned together?

My wife and I divorced 18 months ago and never changed the deeds to our homes to reflect divorced or anything else for that matter. We had a primary residence and a rental property. I continued to make all payements on the homes and very generously supported her. We had 2 children; 1 of whom is only 13 and the other 19. She had no real assests; I paid for everything. I moved back in to her house which is still in both of our names to take care of our children and continue to pay all of the bills. What do I need to do to have the houses re-deeded to my name only?

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Her estate must go to probate. Her children are her heirs. Retain counsel familiar with  prbate and real estate. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.