How do I get the confidentiality I need?

I’m attempting to create a new system to understand patterns and strategies in a
video game. My problem is that I’m going to reach out to professionals to ask
them questions and if it turns out that I have good ideas, I don’t want them to
be able to use my ideas before they’re released. If I get to the point where I
actively talk to a professional, would a confidentiality agreement help me in any
way? If not, what will? Also, I won’t be sharing data with them, only ideas.

I do realize that this probably seems juvenile, because -by definition- it is
but some response would still be very appreciated.

Asked on June 21, 2016 under Business Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a confidentiality agreement will help: such agreements are enforceable. You need to get them to sign the agreement before you disclose anything to them--the agreement will not cover pre-execution/signing disclosures. The best way to get a good agreement is to hire a lawyer to draft one for you: most attorneys will be able to draft a very solid, enforceable confidentiality/nondisclosure agreement for $300 - $500, and if your system isn't worth paying that amount protect it, it's probably not worth worrying about disclosures or breach of confidentiality.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.