How do I get paid as an independent contractor from a company that has been sold?

A company I’ve done freelance work for has been sold but they still owe me for

previous work completed.

Asked on May 2, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The only way an independent contract can get money owed him or her is by suing: to win, you'd have to prove that there was an agreement to pay you a certain amount and that you fulfilled your obligations (i.e. did the work). This would be a breach of contract suit, even if the contract was just the oral agreement that you'd do certain work for certain pay. If the company had been an LLC or corporation, you would sue the company, regardless of who the owner currently is (i.e. old owner or new), because the obligation to pay you was with the LLC or corporation. If the company you'd worked for had been a non-LLC partnership or a sole proprietorship, you'd sue the owner(s) you'd worked for, since in that type of organization, they are responsible for the debts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.