How do I get my record expunged?

Asked on February 4, 2013 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Tennessee enacted a new expungement law that went in to effect on July 1, 2012. As a start you must file a petition in the county court where you were convicted of the offense.  You cannot have convictions in any other state or federal court other than the ones that you are petitioning to expunge. You are required to have paid all fines, restitution, and court costs.  The law further requires that at least five years  have passed  since the completion of the sentence imposed by the conviction.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.