How doI get my husband to pay spousal support if he is self-employed?

For 9 months he was giving me $50 a week. He then met a girl and stopped paying. I have medical bills and need money from him. We have been seperated  for 2 years. He is self-employed with weekly income over $1500 and he owes his own house. I need the extra money, after I pay bills I have $10 for food each week. Is there anyway to get spousal support to help with medical bills and food?

Asked on August 27, 2011 Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Are you and he still married? If you are, there may be no way to force him to pay support if he doesn't want to--the law does not generally involve itself in the financial decisions or domestic arrangements of married people. If you divorce him, though, you can be awarded spousal support (e.g. alimony) *and* a share of any marital assets. If you are separated and he is involved in someone else, it may make sense to take your separation to the next level and actually divorce him, to get the support to which you are legally entitled.

At a minimum, you should consult with a matrimonial or family law attorney, to discuss your options, what you  might be awarded, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.