How do I get my husband of 16 years out of my house?

I have been married for 16 years. I have 3 boys. He verbally and
emotionally abuses me. He lives in the home. He doesn’t communicate
with me . He blames me for everything and trys to make me believe I am
crazy. I recently worked part time for aboutr 5 months . But haven’t
really worked for 15 years. I have stayed home and took care of kids
and evrything with house and fincial banking. I asked him to leave
recently and he refused. He has robbed me of my selfesteem and
bilittles me all the time. I want out .

Asked on April 16, 2017 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless and unitl you have a legal separation agreement or divorce decree that specifies who has the right to possession and control of the house, it remains the "joint marital residence", no matter whose name that the deed (or lease) may be in. This means that you both have the continued right to occupy it. That is unless you have fear for the safety of either yourself or your children. In such an event you can obtain a protective order to keep your husband out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.