How doI get my husband off of a thirdoffense domestic abuse charge?

My husband is being charged but he didn’t hit me, yet I said he that did. He was out of control. He had an heart attack and they gave him morphine that sent him spiralling down hill (he’s an ex-addict). They say that he became chemically unbalanced; he just couldn’thandle the prescribed meds. He was acting out of control so the police were called to our home. He’s a good man. I don’t want him convicted wrongfully. He didn’t hit me. I don’t know what to do I’m on a lot of meds myself because my illness so I due dramatize.

Asked on March 8, 2011 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Ok, so what you did by dramatizing is generally known as giving a false report to a police officer.  So expect that when you fee up to the dramatization you yourself may indeed by locked up with your husband.  I would strongly suggest that you seek help from an attorney as soon as you possibly can.  DO NOT go to the police yourself and volunteer information without someone there who can buffer the consequences.  Explain to him or her what you explained here and the causes of the erratic behaviour.  Maybe he or she can help with both matters.  And maybe he or she can suggest a program that the court will look favorably upon to enroll in.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.