How do I get my family off of my land? They said they would move when they had the money, the 2 weeks later they got $8000 income tax two moths ago.

My grandmother was living on my land, my aunt moved in to take care of her. My grandmother died 3 years ago. I told my aunt she had to movie the mobile home off my land. About 5 months ago her and her husband moved out and moved her daughter in without asking me. I told her daughter they had a few months to move and they said they would when they had the money?

Asked on June 26, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm assuming here that there's no rent being paid, and no lease or anything like it was ever signed.  That makes your family members guests on the property.  When guests are no longer welcome, and that fact has been made clear to them, they become trespassers, and in most states defiant trespassing is a minor offense but it's enough to have them arrested.  Written notice, by certified mail with return receipt requested and regular mail (in case the certified letter is refused) is usually good enough proof for most courts.

Removing the mobile home might be another problem, if your relatives don't need it when your cousin moves out.  You'd need to know who actually owns that, now, and I'd suggest that you talk to a local attorney about your rights if it's left behind;  the legal fees are less expensive than the value of the thing, which is what it might cost you if you go about this the wrong way.  One place to find a lawyer is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.