How do I get my borrowed out car back home?

I let my friend borrow my car; I borrowed their truck. They took my car out of state and left it. I still have their truck.

Asked on May 2, 2017 under Business Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The proper route to follow in the recovery of your vehicle is to file a police report since it was essentially "stolen" (i.e. not returned as promised). You can then file suit in court against the person who you lent your car to. Also, you should return their truck, since one thing as nothing to do with the other. In other words, you cannot just keep their truck in exchange for they having taken yours.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You would have to file a lawsuit against them for the value of the car on the grounds that they stole it (because you initially loaned the car, the police are not likely to help, even though not returning the car *is* stealing--they will likely consider this a "civil" matter--a non-criminal dispute--rather than a criminal case). The suit could then be settled or resolved by the friend returning the car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.