How do I get back a down payment from a cancelled landscaping job?

I paid a landscaping company $550 as a down payment. I had to cancel 4 days before the beginning of the job. Now, 7 weeks later still no refund. No cancellation clause I contract that I signed. The owner kept in contact with me every week telling me the progress of the refund, however he no longer answers his cell phone nor emails. Cell phone no longer has company greeting. I’m concerned the company has folded.

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, the landscapaer seems to have no intent on paying you back the $550 down payment. I would write him or her  a note demanding payment by a certain date. Keep a copy of the note for future use and reference. If you do not get the $550 check by the demanded date your option is small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.