How do I back money that my ex-fianceecharged on my credit cards without my permission?

The card in question was understood to only be for emergencies and was a zero balance before she started her spending spree. She racked up over $900 with another ccount which she didn’t have permission to do either. She charged $8000 plus.  She agreed to a collection agency to pay back one card at $360 per month, but never did. She admitted to them it was her debt. Every transaction has her signature, not mine.

Asked on July 30, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You'd have to sue her to get the money back. As part of the lawsuit, you'd need to show that her purchases were unauthorized--that even though you had allowed her access to the cards, she breached the terms of the agreement between the two of you on why, when, what for, etc. she could use.

As a practical matter: lawsuits cost money, and winning are not guaranteed. Also, if she has no money, even if you win, you may not be able to recover anything...or if she declares bankruptcy, that would prevent you from recovering. You should consult with an attorney to get a sense for  the likely cost, chance of winning, and chance of recovery, so you can decide whethher to go ahead with suing her or not. Good luck.

In the meantime, cancel those cards!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.