How doI get an arrest off my record ifI was never charged?

I signed for a package for 1 of my roommate; it was cocaine. I went to jail for signing it but they dismissed the charges. However, I still have an arrest record.

Asked on July 28, 2010 under Criminal Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I would suggest that you seek help from an attorney in your are on this matter.  Generally, arrest records can be "expunged" upon request from a Judge based upon certain reasons and certain conditions that must be met.  Essentially the matter is sealed and "erased" from a background check. Generally, arrests without convictions or with dismissals should have not problem.  But it appears that Alabama may be different as to this issue and you may not be able to have the matter expunged.  It seems ridiculous if the charges were dismissed so it I would go and get help from a criminal attorney that knows about these matters.  And if you are eligible for expungement remember to run a background check on yourself after the paperwork is completed to be sure.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.