How do I get a TRO on a person to keep him away from my granddaughter if he sold her drugs?

She is 16 and he is 18. He sold her drugs this summer she is now in REHAB and will come home soon. He has a history of use and sales. He thinks she is his girlfriend. She says that she wants nothing to do with him. The family has turned his name into the police with details. We have give our name and phone but they do not respond.

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Criminal Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you wish to protect your minor daughter from the person who sold her controlled substances, I recommend that you consult with an attorney who has expereince in obtaining retraining orders, most likely a family law attorney.

Your will have to file a petition for the restraining order as your child's guardian with the court and have it served upon the 18 year old. You will then have a hearing date and the court will make its decision. I suggest that the restraining order be a broadly based request applying to your entire family and where you reside. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.