Can I get a provision change in my divorce settlement from 20 years ago?

If so, how?

Asked on March 28, 2017 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A settlement is an agreement--it's basically a contract. Like any agreement or contract, it can be changed by the mutual, or joint, agreement of the parties--i.e. if you and your ex agree to the change. Clearly, he or she will not if you want something only good for you, not him or her; but if circumstances have changed so that the agreement is not really working any longer, if you can come up with an alternative or change that offers both of you something, they may agree to it. You can start the conversation by contacting your ex directly, if he or she had no attorney; or through their lawyer, if they have one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.