How do i get a person out of house bought

Just bought a house and someone is
living there not laying anything and no
lease ever he won’t get out has had 30
days I live in wv

Asked on March 24, 2017 under Real Estate Law, West Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Since they don't have a written lease, this person will be consdiered to have a month-to-month lease for which only a 30 day notice to vacate must be given. At this point, since you are the new owner, you should again give notice to this person yourself (make sure it is proper notice as per state law). Technically, the reason for the eviction would be "non-payment of rent". If this person does not remove themselves from the premises by the date given them in the notice, then you can file for an eviction. You will then need to follow all lehal steps to remove this "tenant".  Whatever you do, do not take any self-help measures such as changing the locks, turning off the utilites, etc. If you do, you could find yourself on the wrong side of a lawsuit. Right now, you should consider consulting directly with an a local attorney who practices landlord-tenant law. They can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.