how do I get a letter of administration

my mother died before she could add me as a signatory on her bank account what do I need to do and how much does a probate lawyer charge for letter of administration?

Asked on January 19, 2018 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

to obtain letters of administration you need to file for a probate of the estate.  Texas has several options for probate.  The type of probate and the cost of the probate will depend on the size of the estate, the number of heirs, whether there was will (or not), and whether anyone desires to contest the estate.  Costs will also depend on the going rate in your area.
Simple estates with little property can be handled for a lower price.  If the probate becomes more complex, then it will naturally cost more.
I would suggest making a list of potential heirs and itemize the big ticket item of the estate.  Big ticket items are the cars, house, accounts, and things of significant value.  This does not include the everyday dishes, the sheets, or the lawnmower.  
Once you have these two lists, set up consultations with at least three attorneys.  If you were to by a new car, you would look at more than one vehicle.  Attorney shopping is very similar.  Go with the one that understands your issues, that explains the process to you, and (most importantly) listens to you.  After visiting with three attorneys, you should be able to see a consistent trend of issues for your case, and the costs---such that you can identify who is trying to overcharge you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.