How do I get a felony drug conviction expunged from over 20 years ago?


Asked on July 10, 2014 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It depends on your jurisdiction's laws regarding expungment. Some states permit the clearing of a felony from a criminal history record; however most do not. What you can do is to google your state and the word "expungment" and see what comes up; there is probably a state website that covers this. Additionally, you can contact a criminal defense attorney in the area where you were convicted; a quick call might be all that you need.

Note: If you were convicted in federal court, then you cannot obtain an expungment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.