How do I get a drain field easement?

Our home’s drain field is not located on our property, and we just found out that when the house was built 18 years ago, an easement was not put in for it. We have started the process of getting an easement, but it will probably not happen before the land where our drain field is located is foreclosed on. Can the new owners stop us from using the drain field? Is any type of right away created by the fact that we have been using it for so long?

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am sure that they may try but you have a good case to fight.  There are various types of easements recognized in North Carolina and more facts are needed here to fit your case in to one of them.  At first instance it may be that you have an Implied Easement that may be inferred by the facts surrounding the building of the home, etc.  Please seek legal help as to what your next step may be in the foreclosure action.  You may need t be a part of it in some way.  Notice needs to be given the foreclosing lender.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.