how do I get a default judgement dismissed

Wrongfully accused of being in auto accident. I didn’t go to court, default judgement entered against me.

Asked on December 19, 2017 under Accident Law, New Mexico


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You will need to file with the court a motion to set aside the default.  Attach a proof of service (court form) and mail a copy of your filed document to the opposing party or the opposing party's attorney.
At the law library, ask the law librarian to help you find a sample motion to set aside a default in Pleading and Practice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.