How do I get a criminal record expunged?

Asked on July 12, 2014 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You don't give much by way of details. The fact is that when it comes to obtaining an expungement many factors come into play. For example, what state were you convicted in; were you convicted of a felony or misdemeanor; how long ago was your conviction, etc? To get started, you can google the word "expungement" along with the appropriate state name. Most (if not all) states have websites set up that will address this issue and give you the relevant information. If you don't find your answer there, then you can contact an attorney who handles expungments and explain the details of your conviction. They can then best advise on if you can, or how to, proceed further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.