How do I get a criminal conviction expunged?

Asked on February 21, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You give no details of your situation. The fact is that not all people qualify to have a conviction "expunged" (i.e. cleared from thier criminal history record). For example typically only first time offenders are eligible. The same holds true with respect to the offense involved (i.e. felony versus misdemeanor). For example, in many states only misdemeanors can be expunged). And, even in qualifying cases, the laws outling the process for expungement vary from state-to state.

Here is a link that will give you specific information regarding expunging your record in CA:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.